Saturday, October 5, 2013

Noah's Ark - My First Quiltlet

Well, it has taken awhile, but it is finally done.  Everyone who has seen it asks how much time I have in it...a rough guess would be about 500 hours, maybe...with choosing fabrics, embellishments and actual sewing.  But, it didn't seem like that much because it was spread out and I loved doing each piece.  My sweet friend, Saundra, put the background together for me and I did all the on top applique and embellishment sewing and then she finished it with edges, binding and a little bit of quilting.  She put a rod pocket on the back so I can hang someday...in the new house.

She's a pro.
The background is flannel and the applique is wool and stuff.

I worked from a pattern called, "Wool Ark Crazy" by A Piece of Work....you can google it to see how very differently mine turned out.  But, I must say, working from a pattern (which I almost never do) was kind of relaxing...not nearly as much figuring out or wasting of wool.

There are A LOT of pictures, but each block needed at least one picture, right?  Take your time...enjoy.
And some cold and rainy day when you have LOTS of time, click on each one to see it big and you can almost feel them...and notice the actual dog and cat hairs that are stuck on...


TA-DA!

So, I like primitive style, but not the often dark primitive colors.
Doesn't it just make you happy to look at it the first time?
Much color and personality and joy!
Well, that's what I think anyway.  
This block called for roosters, but I decided to
have my Golden Retrievers instead...and blue 
bird buttons.
                                                                   

The elephant didn't have mice and they weren't 
holding onto each other, but...now they do.                                           
Oh, and their ears flap.

Chicka chicka boom boom.
The crocagators needed water...
They are friendly crocagators...see?  
Making friends with the bunnies.
Love those bunny tales!




I wanted you to see that the angel's hair was all french knots.
Sweet hoots.




Giraffes may be my favorites.
But that changes sometimes....
...because I really like the fish and the ribbon water, too.
I made tiny pom poms for the lions' tails.

Oh, and the sheeps.  I love the sheeps.
And they love each other.
This is the block I started with.  I added
water and the olive like branch.

Meow.
Remember the branch the cute hoots were 
sitting on?  That was my inspiration 
for this sign that is on the back of the quiltlet.
And finally, Saundra and I the day she gave it back to me.

I'm in love.
I learned lots.

And I have an idea for my next one!

So, what did you think?
Do you have favorites?
What do you think would be a good next one?

Now, I need my house done so I can hang this in a 
place of honor....




















23 comments:

Amy said...

I love, love, love it Mrs. Lohr. It is so neat to see it finished after seeing it in many pieces over time. My favorite is the sheepies of course and the elephants.

Amy said...

I love, love, love it Mrs. Lohr. You and your creative ability are just amazing. What a gift you were given. My favorite is the sheepies of course followed by the elephants.

Rachel said...

Oh Donna! That is just spectacular!!!! Wouldn't it have been fun to sit and make that together???? :D I LOVE the colors. So happy! I also love the changes you made. You are a natural. I like yours better. I am just gushing aren't I?!! Lot's of exclamation points but that is how thrilled I am with this piece of art/work you've done! I'm glad you took so many photos, such close up photos so I could see the detail. Amazed at the detail. Yes, yes, yes, hurry and get your little house done so you can hang this up because it begs to be admired and if I woke up to this happy piece every morning, I would have to become a morning person. So delightful.

W-S Wanderings said...

Squeeeeal! Holy smokes, Donna, this is INCREDIBLE. I mean, just...WOW! There is no picking a favourite. It would be impossible. They're all full of that Donna whimsy that I love. The giraffes are darling though, aren't they? And the linked elephants. And the sheep, all soft and nubbley. And now *I* want French knotted hair. And a halo. I wish this comment area would allow me to look at the photos at the same time as leaving the comments...cuz my memory is a ridiculous thing. This quiltlet, Donna, is a work of art. Seriously.

W-S Wanderings said...

The butterflies on the flower - I love them too. And the owls. And, well, ALL of it is scrumptious.

Donna said...

Ah, Wabi...thanks...a lot! I'm sure you have a halo already.
Oh, and by the way, I went to the bookstore and read your article and now I want to be wabi-sabi, too!

Donna said...

Rachel, I am thinking a nursery rhyme one next...maybe we could do it together...if I can come up with patterns, right?
I am so happy that you like it. Thanks for gushing...my little creative heart needs some gushing now and then.

Donna said...

Thanks, Amy! The sheepies almost have on argyle sockies...gotta be Irish sheepies, right?

K said...

I haven't commented even on MYSELF practically this whole year. It's like I'm dancing on a hot tin roof. At first, I was amazed you were so brave about changing things - and then I remembered who you are and what you do. Next time, you won't need a pattern. You'll just do your own crazy design and have a ball. I've always wanted to do one of these. And maybe someday again I will. But seeing yours is almost as good as making one, I feel so satisfied. The detail is DELICIOUS and you, with your wonderful eye for it, made it all the more fun. It's like rich loam, exquisite and interesting and energizing and a portrait of your own sense of gratitude and wonder - what a piece of work and love.

Donna said...

Your words make my heart happy. Thank you. I do have ideas for the next one! Waiting for them to gel a bit....
I am amazed and grateful for the gift I have been given.
It is hanging right across the room from me right now and I just want to look at it...like wake up in the middle of the night and look at it.

And I miss your blog voice and your pictures and your stories...be back soon....

MonchyB said...

Crazy work! It is just AMAZING what you do. No words left. Amazing.

Donna said...

Thanks so much, Monchy B! I'm sure you could do something equally amazing! You have a good eye...

Leslie Fehling said...

Donna, what an incredible job you did with this quilt! It's fun and whimsical and sweet and dear. I can tell you poured a lot of yourself into it. And isn't it nice that my mom added her special touch? You must smile every time you see it.

Donna said...

Thanks, Leslie! It never would have happened without your mom...never! I love that I have this piece of her work and it does make me smile a lot!

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Ok something made me look up my google page which I never do these days and look what was waiting there for me to see!!! Donna what a masterpiece!! Just stunning! You are such a master with the wool, what a truly beautiful quilt! I am in awe and in love. Well done xx I loved to see how your house is doing too :-)

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Ok something made me look up my google page which I never do these days and look what was waiting there for me to see!!! Donna what a masterpiece!! Just stunning! You are such a master with the wool, what a truly beautiful quilt! I am in awe and in love. Well done xx I loved to see how your house is doing too :-)

Donna said...

Ah, Jenni, so good to hear from you! We are making progress on the house...slow and steady.
Now, a new quilt needs to be started.
Happy birthday to you!

Tanna said...

Oh. my. goodness!!! Donna, this is e.x.q.u.i.s.i.t.e!! Each beautiful detail. It is truly a work of art. I love how you added your Golden Retrievers and the mice and the holding on and all the BEAUTIFUL, special little details! You are so very right about it making us happy just to see it! You are just amazing!! Love. Love. Love this! blessings ~ tanna
ps I can't wait to see what you come up with next. =)

no spring chicken said...

Love, love, LOVE! You are still just as amazing as I remember... it seems so long since I've been in blogland. :O

Your added details are just so perfect..

Blessings, Debbie

no spring chicken said...

Is this really still your last post? Or am I just lost after all of this time?

What's going on in Donna's world? Moving on the house or just waiting for spring? New creative ventures... I am SURE!

?? Debbie

Donna said...

I don't know what it is exactly Debbie….just a different season in my life, I guess. A quiet season…growing closer to God. I do miss you and your blog posts, but I really just don't have anything to say exactly. Thanks so much for checking in! I check in with your blog to see baby pictures and how your life is going….you always inspire me.

Tanna said...

Just to stop by with a hug and lots of love... blessings ~ t. xoxo

Tanna said...

Oh, I miss. miss. miss. you Donna!! I KNOW all to well how overwhelming house projects can be.... sigh... we will just have to keep plugging along. We had another setback yesterday, but I'll be back at in in an hour... sending hugs and love your way... hang in there. blessings ~ tanna