Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Looky Looky!

It came earlier than I thought it would and it is even more wonderful than I thought it would be...how cool is that?
This all started at the end of last school year (this spring) as I was lamenting the ending of my career and packing all my stuff.  Sweet, sweet Melissa volunteered to make me something with my dots.  That sounded interesting so I sent her some dots and she made me this treasure...from scratch!  She carded and spun the yarn, drilled holes in the dots, tied each one with fine mohair threads and then made music as she plied them onto the yarn on the spinning wheel.  Then she wove it into shape with all the dots showing.  She felted legs and a lid pull...all of it completely and totally amazing! 
Look.  I really needed you big camera people...not one of these does this little beauty justice.  Sorry Melissa.  I tried.  Everyone be impressed in spite of my photos...






So, I hope you can see the loveliness...the confetti like yarn, the meticulous tying of each dot, the felted balls and legs and just the overall whimsicalness of my treasure.
Want to see more of Melissa's creations?
You are going to be impressed.
Thanks a million, Melissa.  I love my blog friends...and the whole crazy idea of sharing with people I have never met and may never meet.

This was the best day to get this.  I will carry it with me tomorrow to get me through the first day of kids going back to school...without me! 
All is well.

9 comments:

Tanna said...

I LOVE THOSE CREATIONS!!!! I think I missed out the whole story about the dots, but your friend, Melissa, made a PERFECT creation to enjoy them!! Oh, I am so impressed! Enjoy, Donna (I know you are!).

This passage... the leaving behind all the ways we used to define ourselves, is most interesting. It hasn't all been easy for me; but, when I look back on my life, none of the real 'passages' were, at least not at the time. We are setting a new course and redefining ourselves. I'm excited to share your journey. blessings ~ tanna

Donna said...

Tanna, you are so right. Growing often involves some pain, but is worth it in the end. I can't even imagine who I am becoming, but God knows and I am just trying to be open, aware and willing. Thanks so much for sharing the journey.

no spring chicken said...

Wow! What a gift. Both Melissa's artistic gift, and the gift she gave you. I love treasures of this nature. Handcrafted, incorporating something meaningful to be displayed and appreciated forever... You are obviously appreciated.

Blessings, Debbie

Donna said...

I know...isn't it wonderful? I carried it with me to the homebuilding site and sat it on our lunch table to enjoy all day! I so appreciate her talents and her heart!

Melissa Plank said...

Awwwe, that's so sweet, I had so much fun with this project and I'm really pleased you like it. You are the one who really deserves the thanks Donna! Our beloved teachers are so treasured and their influence, kindness and instruction follow us through out a lifetime!

K said...

I am hoping to emerge from the dust storm tomorrow. Honest. maybe. I am AMAZED and full of WONDER - Melissa - I have no idea how you did any of this. But I'm so grateful to you for doing it and giving this sweet Donna such a gift. I want to do something with the dots, too. And maybe I'll beg some off her. But it will be nothing like this wonderful thing you have done. When I grow up, I want to be just like both of you.

Donna said...

Kristen, just let me know when you want some dots...and go check out Melissa's blog for WAY better pictures of the lovely basket.

K said...

dots. dots. dots.

Donna said...

How many dots? Now or for winter crafting?