Monday, August 15, 2011

Real Retirement-Day 1

So, today, everyone else went back to work and I didn't...and it was good.  This makes today the first real retirement day...as opposed to summer vacation days.  I am going to have to find a way to fill the "make a difference" hole, but I think that will come to me. 
Today was spent with a couple of friends doing something I have never really done before...
Beautiful Cheat Lake...more green!

Zooming!
I am seriously prone to motion sickness, so I was very nervous about this adventure.
Captain Tessa was very careful and I had a wonderful, not sick at all, time.

Channeling my inner Kate Winslet...Queen of the Cheat!

Ok.  Channel changed.

Lunch time!  Anchors away. 
Oh, and I was so hungry I didn't even take a picture of the lunch Tessa prepared. 
Hummus, veggies, fruit, chips, quesadillas and smoked salmon sammies...with a little
champagne for toasting our newest lives as retired people.

And there she is, Captain Tessa, at the wheel. 

Ah.  Happy feet (with Birkenstripes).

A lovely hidden waterfall.

Heading back into the dock after the relaxing day on the lake.
Yep.  I think I can get used to being retired!

But, back to building tomorrow....windows await.

9 comments:

Karyn said...

I thought about you a lot today, actually. I thought that it would have been nice to've had an opening session sitting right beside my friend. Starting the year off right. I thought about you when I read your name in the program among the list of retirees. I thought about you as I enjoyed catching up with many wonderful teachers and friends whom I have worked with over the past 10 years. I've always enjoyed this first day back with everyone together for the only time the whole year. A united whole. (Well, I don't like the stiff back after sitting on the bleachers, but the idea is nice.)

Anyway, you were there even though you weren't. You will remain there for many years to come due to the difference you have made in the lives of the many teachers you have come into contact with over your years of service. I missed you today. We'll make you proud this year. I promise. :D

Tanna said...

Oh, girl! What a way to celebrate a new phase of life!! That is one beautiful place! And, with a good friend and good food, doing something you were a bit anxious about!! Perfect! Hoorah for you! blessings ~ tanna

K said...

Ya know - sometimes when I'm just walking outside - up roads, down the long barn driveway, out to get the mail - I do that same thing against the air, lifting my arms and my chin, catching the wind against my palms and eyelids - and on a lake, without a doubt such a thing must be done.

Yes. This was the perfect way to spend the first true day of retirement. Perfect. Perfect.

Donna said...

Karyn, I would have sat beside you proudly...you are one of the good ones! OK, great ones. You have great passion and great joy.
Kristen, I do that leaning into the wind when I am just walking about sometimes, too. I usually end up doing a twirl in there somehow.
Tanna, I am so glad that there are still things for me to do that make me a bit anxious.

no spring chicken said...

Definitely the right way to spend the first days of real retirement! Resting your Birkenstripes, and channeling Kate on the Cheat... Captain Tessa sure knows how to treat her first mate!

Blessings, Debbie

Unknown said...

OH Retirement sure looks good on you!

With All That I Am
Carrie "Forrest-Dweller" Duvall
The Handmade Homemaker

Donna said...

Debbie, it was a great afternoon! Carrie, retirement has been better than I could imagine so far!

W-S Wanderings said...

Channel changed & Birkenstripes - you make me giggle. And "windows await" sounds deep. And fulfilling.

Donna said...

I have a good window story coming...